1 lb carrots, fresh
1 cup orange juice, pasteurized
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tbsp butter
2 dozen rainbow carrots, peeled
1 cup english peas, fresh
4, 6-oz salmon fillets, boneless skinless
To taste kosher salt
To taste black pepper, fresh cracked
2 tbsp olive oil
- Puree and peel the pound of fresh carrots and slice into rounds. Place into saucepan, cover with water and simmer over medium heat until tender.
- In a small sauce pan, add the orange juice and ginger and bring to a simmer. Drain carrots and place in blender; add warm orange juice mixture and butter and puree until smooth and season to taste with salt (reserve warm).
- Peel baby rainbow carrots and cook in lightly-salted water until just tender. Then drain and shock them in ice water before splitting length-wise. Shuck fresh peas and cook in salted boiling water until just tender, drain and shock in ice water.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a non-stick sauté pan over heat and carefully add the salmon. Sear each side to a golden brown color. Finish in a pan or, if the salmon fillets are thicker, in an oven set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Ensure that the salmon is brought to an internal temp of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. In sauté pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and heat. Add baby carrots and peas, season and heat thoroughly.
- Serve on four plates. Equally divide the puree in quarters and place in the center of each plate.
- Top with the warmed carrots and peas with the cooked salmon on top.