- Monfared A, Corrales EC, Theodosopoulos P, Blevins NH, Oghali J, Selesnick S, Lee H, Gurgel R, Hansen M, Nelson R, Gantz B, Kutz W, Isaacson B, Roland P, Amdur A, Jackler R. Improved Facial Nerve Function as a Result of Combined Approach Treatment of Large Acoustic Neuromas: 7-Year Update of the Acoustic Neuroma Subtotal Resection Study (ANSRS). Neurosurgery, 2015.
- Tunkel DC, Bauer CA, Sun GH, Rosenfeld RM, Chandrasekhar SS, Cunningham ER, Archer SM, Blakely BW, Carter JM, Granieri EC, Henry JA, Hollingsworth D, Khan FA, Mitchell S, Monfared A, Newman CW, Omole FS, Phillips CD, Robinson SK, Taw MB, Tyler RS, Waguespack R, Whamond EJ. Clinical Practice Guideline: Tinnitus. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 151(2 Suppl):S1-S40, 2014.
- Fissenden TM, Taheri MR, Easely S, Monfared A. Cranial Fasciitis of the Petrous Temporal Bone. Int J of Ped Otolaryngology. 78(9):1430-2, 2014.
- Hashemi S, Taheri MR, Monfared A. Vertebral Artery Dissection Presenting as Vertigo after Chiropractic Treatment. Annals of Otolaryngology, Submitted.
- Gill AS, Taheri MR, Hamilton J, Monfared A. Extra-axial ependymoma presenting as a cerebellopontine angle mass. Otology Neurotology, Jun 2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Batts SA, Cheung EL, Monfared A, Popelka GR, Savall J, Jung J, Blevins NH, Schnitzer MJ. Intravital imaging of auditory hair cells and neurites in the functional mammalian cochlea. Nature Medicine, Asked for revision.
- Gurgel R, Dogru S, Amdur R, Monfared A. A systematic review of facial nerve outcomes in surgery for large vestibular schwannomas – do surgical approach and extent of resection matter? Neurosurgery Focus, 33(3):E16, 2012.
- Setzen, G, Ferguson, BJ, Han J, Rhee JS, Cornelius F, Froum S, Gillman G, Houser S, Krakovitz PR, Monfared A, Palmer JN, Rosbe KW, Setzen M, Patel M. Clinical Consensus Statement: Appropriate Use of Computed Tomography for Paranasal Sinus Disease. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 147(5):808-816, 2012.
- Monfared A, Mitteramskogler G, Gruber S, Salisbury K, Stampfl J, Blevins N. High fidelity, inexpensive surgical middle ear simulator. Otology Neurotology, 33(9):1573-7, 2012.
- Nadaraja G, Gurgel R, Fischbein N, Anglemeyer A, Monfared A, Jackler R, Blevins N. Radiographic Evaluation of the Tegmen in Patients with Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence. Otology Neurotology. 33(7):1245-50, 2012.
- Nadaraja G, Monfared A, Jackler R. Spontaneous Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak through the Posterior Aspect of the Petrous Bone. Journal of Neurological Surgery. Part B: Skull base. 73(1):071-075, 2012.
- Alharazneh A, Luk L, Huth M, Monfared A, Steyger P, Cheng A, Ricci A. Functional hair cell mechanotransducer channels are required for aminoglycoside ototoxicity. PLoS ONE, 6(7):e22347, 2011.
- Li P, Bergeron C, Monfared A, Agrawal S, Blevins N. Superior semicircular canal dehiscence diagnosed after failed stapedotomy for conductive hearing loss. Am J Otolaryngology. Sep-Oct;32(5):441-4, 2011.
- Corrales E,Monfared A, Jackler R. Facial and vestibulocochlear nerve avulsion at the fundus of the internal auditory canal in a child without a temporal bone fracture. Otology Neurotology. Dec;31(9):1508-10, 2010.
- Monfared A, Mudry A, Jackler R.The History of the Middle Fossa Approach to the Cerebellopontine Angel. Otology Neurotology. Jun;31(4):691-6, 2010.
- Monfared A, Agrawal S, Jackler RK. Cranial Base Approaches to Inaccessible Intracranial Tumors. Current Opinion Neurology, 20(6):726-731, 2007.
- Grant N, Saunders J, Monfared A. International Humanitarian Mission Trips during Otolaryngology Residency, Laryngoscope. Submitted.
- Monfared A, Bergeron C, Ortiz J, Lee H, Dray T, Gunsalus R. Bivalve Cartilage Inlay Myringoplasty: An Office-based Procedure for Closing Small to Medium Size Tympanic Membrane Perforations. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 139(5):630-4, 2008.
- Walker T, Chen T, Bergeron C, Fischbein N, Kaplan MJ, Monfared A. Radiology Quiz: A Case of Giant Ameloblastoma. Archives of Otolaryngology. 134(3):328, 2008.
- Monfared A, Blevins N, Cheung E, Jung J, Popelka G, Schnitzer M. In vivo imaging of mammalian cochlear blood flow using fluorescence microendoscopy. Otology Neurotology. 27(2):144-52, 2006
- Monfared A, Messner A. Sudden Death in a Child with Williams Syndrome undergoing Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy: A Case Report. Int J Ped Otolaryng. 70(6):1133-5, 2006
- Monfared A, Ortiz JP, Roller C. Distal Parotid Duct Pseudocyst as a Result of Blunt Facial Trauma. ENT, 88(8):E15-17, 2009.
- Terris D, Monfared A, Thomas A, Kambham N, Saenz Y. Endoscopic Selective Neck Dissection in a Porcine Model. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 129(6):613-617, 2003
- Monfared A, Saenz Y, Terris D. Endoscopic Resection of the Submandibular Gland in a Porcine Model. Laryngoscope. 112(6):1089-1093, 2002
- Monfared A, Gorti G, Kim D. Microsurgical Anatomy of the Laryngeal Nerves in Thyroid Surgery. Laryngoscope. 112(2):386-92, 2002
- Monfared A, Kim D, Jaikumar S, Gorti G, Kam A. Microsurgical Anatomy of the Superior and Recurrent Laryngeal Nerves. Neurosurgery. 49(4):925-933, 2001
- Taheri R,Monfared A. Advances in Neuroradiology in Recent Advances in Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, 2nd edition by Lalwani A and Pfister M. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. In Press.
- Monfared A, Jackler R. Translabyrinthine Approach in Neurosurgery Tricks of the Trade by Berta S and Levy M (ed). Thieme, In Press.
- Monfared A, Jackler R. The History of Acoustic Neuroma in History of Otology by Mudry A. (ed). In Press.
- Associate Professor of Surgery and Neurosurgery | Director of Otology and Neurotology | Director of Center for Otolaryngology Microsurgical Education and Training (COMET) lab
- Acoustic Neuromas Facial Nerve Injury and Rehabilitation Skull Base Tumors such as:
- epidermoid and meningiomas
- Chronic Ear Disease
- Cochlear Implants
- Middle Ear Implants
- Hearing Loss
- Stanford Medical School
- Stanford Department of Otolaryngology
- Stanford Department of Otolaryngology
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Neurotology-Skullbase Surgery
Ashkan Monfared, MD is board-certified in Otolaryngology and was recruited from Stanford University to serve as the Director of Otology and Neurotology. Dr. Monfared is also an associate professor of surgery and neurosurgery at the GW School of Medicine & Health Sciences. He completed his medical training, residency and fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Previously he has served as staff surgeon in Otolaryngology at Stanford University Hospital and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. He has had the distinct honor of serving at Veteran Administration Hospital and Walter Reed National Medical Center.
As a researcher in the areas of acoustic neuroma and inner ear imaging, he has authored several peer-reviewed scientific papers and book chapters. He is the co-principal investigator of a multi-center prospective study on large acoustic neuromas (vestibular schwannomas) known as Acoustic Neuroma Subtotal Resection Study (ANSRS). His other current research interests are inner ear physiology, otologic simulators, image guidance surgery, and resident education.
Dr. Monfared has created the Comprehensive Hearing Center, which is one of the only adult cochlear implant programs in the Metro DC area. The Center serves the needs of patients with any degree of hearing loss and ear disease.
Since 2004 Dr. Monfared has been active in international humanitarian medical missions. He is on the board of directors of Global ENT Outreach, a non-profit humanitarian organization providing assistance and education with otologic surgeries in many developing countries. He has served in Ethiopia, El Salvador, Belize, Peru, and the American Samoa. Dr. Monfared is a trained classical pianist and fluent in Persian.