- Mandelbaum M, Lakhiani C, Chao JW. A novel application of virtual surgical planning to facial feminization surgery. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery.
- Chao JW., Raveendran JA, Maly C, Rogers G, Boyajian M, Oh AK. Closed-suction drains after subcutaneous mastectomy for gynecomastia: do they reduce complications? Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2017.
- Chao JW., Raveendran JA, Sauerhammer TA, Rogers GF, Oh AK, Boyajian M. Columellar reconstruction after nasal-CPAP associated necrosis. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 2017.
- Chao JW., Lee JC, Chang MM, Kwan E. Alloplastic augmentation of the Asian face – a review of 215 patients. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2016.
- Chao JW., Taylor EM, Rohde CH. Reducing wound healing complications of Wise pattern breast reduction with the inverted “V” modification. Journal of Plastic Reconstrive and Aesthetic Surgery 2014.
- Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery
- Weill Cornell Medical College
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - General Surgery and Plastic Surgery
- Children's National Medical Center - Craniofacial and pediatric plastic surgery
- Plastic Surgery
Dr. Jerry Chao is Assistant Professor of Surgery at The George Washington University, and is board-certified in plastic surgery. Dr. Chao graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, after which he obtained his medical degree at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. He then completed a combined residency in general surgery and plastic surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital, followed by a fellowship in Craniofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery. He currently performs surgery at The George Washington University Hospital, Sibley Memorial Hospital, and Inova Mount Vernon Hospital.
Dr. Chao has a special interest in reconstruction and aesthetic contouring of the craniomaxillofacial region. His other areas of expertise are transgender/gender affirming surgery, cleft lip and palate, cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery, and body contouring. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed scientific journals and lectured nationally. Dr. Chao is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
A full list of Dr. Chao's interests include:
- Cosmetic and reconstructive facial surgery
- Facial feminization surgery (FFS)
- Facial trauma and fractures
- Craniomaxillofacial reconstruction
- Orthognathic surgery / Maxillomandibular advancement for sleep apnea
- Cleft lip and Palate
Breast and Body
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reduction
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- Chest masculinization / FTM top surgery
- Gynecomastia surgery
- Body contouring
- Skin cancer removal
- Reconstruction after Moh’s surgery
- Skin lesions and cysts
Click on the Play button below to listen to Dr. Jerry Chao's GW Healthcast podcast, Transgender Medicine: Gender Affirmation and Facial Feminization Surgery