House Call Program
Washington DC Home Health Services
The House Call Program is a key component of the division of the GW Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine division. There are 6.1 million people over the age of 85 in the United States and their ranks are expected to double by 2030. About two-thirds of these seniors are homebound and do not receive routine healthcare, unless there is a program in their community like the House Call Program at The GW Medical Faculty Associates. Medicare reimbursement does not sustain the House Call program and the program maintains a lengthy waiting list of patients in need of care. The GW Medical Faculty Associates relies on the support of generous donors to sustain and grow this program to meet the needs of this vulnerable population in the Washington, DC community.
Office: (202) 741-3098
Fax: (202) 741-2791
The home-based services we provide include:
- Preventive health care
- Diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions
- Prescription of medications, with an emphasis on safety and affordability
- Support to family members and other caregivers
- Referrals for rehabilitation
- Assistance with practical needs, including wheelchairs
- Pain management
- Comprehensive, patient-centered end-of-life care for the terminally ill
There is a waiting list for our services.
Supporting Our Future Plans
Some of our current funding priorities:
- Pay for social work services
- Increase service capacity through start-up funds for new nurse practitioners with seed money
- Evaluation and research on economic and clinical outcomes of our care
- Hardware and communications to help implement a wireless and portable Electronic Medical Record
- Resources to support establishing partnerships with senior housing
- Support education time and curricular development for the learners on our team
If you would like to find out more about how you can support our continuing work, please call the Office of Medical Center Development at (202) 994-7511. We also welcome all donations via Friends of the MFA.