How to Make an Appointment
Midwives in Washington DC
Thank you for your interest in midwifery care and natural childbirth. Midwives take care of women who are low-risk and have no history of serious medical or surgical problems. Please review the list below. If you currently have or have had a history of one or more of the following conditions, your care may be best provided by one of our collaborating physician colleagues:
Major medical problems:
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
- lung problems
- auto-immune conditions
- Blood clotting or bleeding disorders
- Previous uterine surgery other than previous cesarean delivery (such as myomectomy)
- IVF Pregnancy
- Age 40 or older
- Depression or anxiety not responding to clinical treatment
- Morbid obesity or bariatric surgery
Previous serious obstetrical complications:
- unexplained fetal death
- postpartum hemorrhage
- Any other medical or surgical history which may impact your obstetric care
Additionally, if you have a combination of problems that place you or your pregnancy at a higher risk level, you may not be suitable for midwifery care. For example, if you are older than 40, have an IVF pregnancy, and had a previous cesarean delivery, a natural birth may not be a good option for you.
Call Us Today
To make an appointment with GW Midwifery, please call (202) 741-2500, Option 2 and speak with one of our Call Center Representatives to get you registered in our system and make your first appointment.
The following appointment types are available:
- Midwife Verification of Pregnancy (MVP): A GYN visit where your history is reviewed and an ultrasound will either be done or ordered to confirm pregnancy. This visit is ideally done at approximately 7-8 weeks.
- Midwife New OB Visit (MNO): A new OB visit for pregnancies already confirmed by ultrasound or for women transferring their care to GW Midwifery.
- Midwife Consultation Visit (MNV): A consultation visit where we determine whether you are a candidate for midwifery care with GW Midwifery.
- Midwife GYN Visit (MNV or MRG): For annual exams, preconception, or contraception.
We look forward to hearing from you.