Anxiety Disorder Treatment
There is A Way Out of Anxiety
The Doctors of the Anxiety Disorders Program at The GW Medical Faculty Associates specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxieties related to terrorism, disasters, or trauma.
Many people with anxiety disorders think they are the only ones who experience these feelings, or that nothing can be done to help them. In fact, anxiety disorders are highly responsive to treatment. The clinicians of the Anxiety Disorders Program are experts at prescribing the most appropriate and effective treatments based on a patient's unique symptoms and situations.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Though among the most common psychiatric problems, anxiety disorders often go untreated. Worry and fear are a constant and overwhelming reality for people with anxiety disorders, and they can be quite crippling. They constantly respond to certain things or situations with fear and dread. The also often experience a pounding heart, sweating, and other physical signs of anxiety.
Common symptoms of anxiety disorders may include:
- Fear and avoidance of social situations in which a person is exposed to unfamiliar people
- Fear of performance situations
- Constant worry about minor matters
- Periods of intense fear or discomfort accompanied by a pounding heart, sweating, trembling, or difficulty breathing
- Recurrent and persistent thoughts that are intrusive or cause anxiety and distress