Overactive bladder is a syndrome comprised the following symptoms:
- Urinary Urgency (a sudden, compelling urge to urinate)
- Urinary Frequency (urinating more than 8 times a day)
- Nocturia (waking up at night to urinate)
- Overactive bladder is caused by involuntarily contractions in the bladder muscle resulting in a sudden urge to urinate. These spasms can make it feel like you need to urinate often and quickly, even if you bladder is not full.
- This strong sensation may causing difficulty getting to the bathroom in time. The urge can be so strong that women experience urinary leakage, also known as urinary incontinence. Sometimes the whole bladder empties.
- The mainstay of treatment is bladder training and medications. However, sometimes office or outpatient procedures are needed to minimize symptoms.